Wednesday, August 22, 2012

WORKING IN A SERIES

Just recently, decided to investigate exactly what "working in a series" means to other people, to determine to what extent a workshop in "working in a series" would help spur my creativity and professional growth -

OK, before my exporation into the topic, I sorta knew what it meant to me - sorta - cause after doing a goggle search - I realized that many artists agreed that one really doesn't  understand what "working in a series" means until experiencing the process enough times - in my words, the LIGHT BULB has to click ON - atleast that is what I took away from this video by Sean Scully "Wall of Light" -




Then I discovered Sue Favinger Smith's fine art blog  -  another artist with similar self-seeking questions.  While her "working in series" article was what I originally went there for, she left me feeling peaceful after reading about "off grid" perspective. 

Sandy's Blog was so spot on for me - fun to read AND a definition - ah ha - the answers in black and white - - - "To create a series you need to pick a theme, subject, or idea, a genre, medium(s), and it is helpful, but not necessary, to have a color story or repetitive technique for the foundation pieces as you build your collection."  She went on to discuss picking her theme, a genre, a medium, with a color story, and a technique -  plus PHOTOs. 

Seriously though - Reflecting back on what I called my first series, to visualize what my process was  - My inspiration was a sign "Frognet"  and in spur of the moment,  the objective was to make a "series" of quilts and when one was good enough, enter it in Quilt National.  I wanted to explore man's impact upon nature - I only made two quilts, both of which are shown in my header on the Polywog-FiberArt Studio webpage.  What happened?  Commissions for a Quilt Vendor, which, actually, merged into my Circle Series - and the topic was lost - or was it?

A few years later - another series sprung up based upon TREES and a theme depicting emotions evoked during the month and region chosen  - my genre was art quilt, abstract realism, the size was already determined by the venue, as was how many to do.  I had recently experimented with over dying - and decided that I would ONLY use that fabric - it wasn't until nearing the end of executing my last few pieces that realization struck, my color palate was too limited for the effects I needed to achieve -  Additionally, it was a requirement to use a new technique each time - so technically, perhaps it was only a series in limited sense?  

But wait!  My light bulb just came on - for intuitively, I tend to work in series, I just never identified that is what I do - oh my - - - mentally thumbing through my quilts, going back to my traditional quilting days, using the Ricki Tims technique, making 22 quilts, in three color palates.  I remember an immense feeling of satisfaction seeing them all hanging in an exhibit, and thinking of the learning that occurred making each one of them - 

After exhausting that idea,  I went into a curved piecing frenzy, using inset circles, too many quilts to count - and yes, still counting...  This one, now in a private collection,  remains one of my favorites.

Next, was the DoubleCuts series - which I actually called a series (meaning several of the same type)...   I posted a few of these at my FB page Polywog FiberArt Studio -

SO, the answer for me is YES, I work in series - but more loosely structured than others - while I don't like repetitive tasks - I must like re-occurring themes - because nature influences and inspires all my work - once I perfect the technique - it is time to move to the next, more exciting "series". 

I am still undecided about the on-line class - with full-time work, and starting my 4th graphics art class - and trying to work on my body of work - hmmmm, perhaps I will muddle on by myself - sigh - it sounded like such a great idea a week ago.